You need to try this recipe I made, YUM!
I wanted to try something new at home. My husband loves soup and I know he loves creamy soups so I went to the store and brought whatever ingredients inspired me to cook that day. I saw the leeks and they looked so nice, I love leeks. You just have to remember that because they grow in sand they get lots of sand in between the leaves. Just cut off the bottom where the white starts to turn green, then cut the root end and slice them into thin rings, put them into a bowl of cool water and loosen the rings in the water. “Swoosh” them around the water a bit so the sand can come off them and drop to the bottom, let the water settle down. DO NOT DUMP THEM IN THE STRAINER! Scoop the leeks up carefully from the water without picking up the sand from the bottom.
OK enough about leeks, I do use chicken stock and bacon for topping but you can easily change it to vegetable stock, if you prefer to go vegetarian. You can also not use the cream at the end it will still be creamy enough…. I just wanted to go all out for my recipe.
I really hope you enjoy it! Please let me know what you think and if you have anything you did to improve the recipe…
2 quarts water for boiling potatoes
6-8 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth
1-cup butter (2sticks)
2 leeks, sliced thinly and washed
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-cup all-purpose flour
1 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups cheddar or any cheese of choice
6 strips of bacon cook crispy and chop into bits
1/4 green onion
1. In 2 quarts of water add, peeled, ½” diced Potatoes and boil until fork tender 10 min or so, drain; save till later.
2. In another pot add broth simmer low-med heat
3. In soup pot melt 2 sticks butter, add leeks, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and cook until tender.
4. When tender add 1-cup flour and mix together and cook for 3-4 minutes to remove flour taste and there are no lumps.
5. Now slowly whisk in hot broth to flour veg mixture to prevent lumps from forming. Cook for 10-15 minutes, mixture will be getting thick at this point
6. Add the 1 cup of heavy cream slowly to soup mixture.
7. Add potatoes; simmer for 10 mins and serve.
8. Garnish with. Bacon, shredded cheese and green onions and enjoy.