This is one of my favorite soups. It’s soo full of flavor, spices and just enough heat. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. My husband loves this soup but he can’t take too much heat so I made it more enjoyable for him by adding the avocado relish which gives it a really nice cool creamy feel. Let me know what you think, I hope you enjoy!!
Spiced Chicken Soup with Avocado Relish
By Chef Neena
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2-teaspoon salt.
To prepare spice blend, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Canola oil, divided
- 1 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, un-drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
To prepare soup, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle 2 tablespoons spice blend over chicken. Sauté 8 minutes or until done; Chop chicken; set aside.
Heat 1 tsp. oil in pan over medium-high heat; add onion, bell peppers, garlic, and salt. Sprinkle vegetable mixture with remaining spice blend; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken, corn, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Add lime juice.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 diced peeled avocado
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
To prepare relish, combine chopped cilantro and next 4 ingredients (through avocado).
Ladle 1 1/4 cups soup into bowls; top with 1/4 cup relish. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.